What Size Storage Unit do I Need
Are you confused on what size storage unit do I need? Here’s a guide to determining the unit that best fits your needs.
Steps to Determine “What Size Storage Unit Do I Need”
Step 1: Make a list of the items you plan to store.
Step 2: Group the items according to how you will organize them.
Start by identifying items that will be packed in boxes and stacked. Next, prioritize boxed items you will want to access most frequently. These items will go closer to the front of the unit. Then group by boxes by fragility or weight. Heavier, sturdier items should be stored on the bottom of stacked items and fragile items on top. Next, consider awkwardly-sized items that won’t stack well. Also consider including how often you will need to use them, and how heavy they are.
Step 3: Make note of how these items will be packed and organized.
Boxes and containers should be of uniform size. Depending on the size and strength of the containers you use, containers should be stacked no more than three or four high. Consider using heavy-duty plastic stackable drawers for easy access to stored items.
Below is a quick-reference guide to help you plan what size storage unit you will need for your personal or business storage:
Storage of Personal Items
- 10′ x 10′ (100 sq. ft.) – Holds the contents of an entire family room or two full bedrooms.
- 10′ x 15′ (150 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of up to three bedrooms in this unit. This size unit is recommended for larger items such as couches, tables, or large-screen TVs.
- 10′ x 20′ (200 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of a five-bedroom house, including a refrigerator, washer/dryer, dining room table, chairs and large boxes.
Storage of Business Items
- 10′ x 10′ (100 sq. ft.) – Holds the contents of an entire office, including desks, chairs, computers and a few storage boxes.
- 10′ x 15′ (150 sq. ft.) – This size unit will fit the contents of three office rooms could fit in this size unit, including several desks, computers and boxes.
- 10′ x 20′ (200 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of five office rooms (desks, computers, bookcases and file cabinets) in this size, or a five-year supply of business and tax files.
I hope this information answers the question of “what size storage unit do I need”. You can also check out our complete Guide to Renting Self Storage. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at (423) 614.0069.